Polk County Community, Family & Youth Services

Commodity Supplemental Foods

What is the Commodity Supplemental Food Program?

The Polk County Commodity Supplemental Food Program provides supplemental foods and nutrition education in order to promote good health for seniors at NO COST.

The program is provided through the Polk County Department of Community, Family, and Youth Services and the United States Department of Agriculture.

Who can receive supplemental foods?

Seniors 60 years of age or older who live in Polk, Dallas, Boone, Jasper, Story and Warren Counties. Supplemental Food Program For Seniors Guidelines

How do I get the Supplemental Foods Program?

Apply Online


By applying in person at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa and providing:

  • Proof of income
  • Proof of age

Elderly persons 60 year of age or older who are unable to come to our site and those living in Polk, Dallas, Boone, Jasper, Story and Warren Counties can call 515-286-3655 and ask for an application to be sent to them or click on the following link to print out an application. Commodity Supplemental Food Program Senior Application

What do I get at the Supplemental Food Program?

Healthy nutritional foods from major food manufacturers:

  • Canned Juices
  • Canned Fruits
  • Canned Vegetables
  • Hot and Cold Cereals
  • Cheese
  • Peanut Butter and Beans
  • Pastas
  • Shelf stable 1% Milk and Powdered Milk
  • Nutrition Education Materials

Eligible participants can shop for these items in a grocery store like atmosphere at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue. Volunteer delivery is available for seniors who are unable to pick up or have no one to come in for them.

For More Information Call 515-286-3655 or toll free call 1-877-288-3655 or come to Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue (no appointment is necessary)

Hours: 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM Monday-Friday.  Closed the last two working days of each month, weekends and county holidays

Non-Discrimination Statement

The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, apply at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.



Contact Us

Community & Family Division
Polk County River Place
2309 Euclid Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50310


Youth Services Division
Juvenile Detention 515-286-3344
Centralized Intake 515-286-3350
1548 Hull Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50316