Got Questions? We've Got Answers!
We've compiled a quick reference guide to assist you in answering your many questions. If you're not sure who to call, you may call the Human Resources Department's main number, 286-3200, and your call will be directed to the correct area.
Jim Nahas, Director of Human Resources
- Directs the operations of the Human Resources Department.
- Attends external meetings representing the department.
Jaibre Spargur, HR Administrative Assistant - Ext. 3232 email her!
- Provides clerical support to the Director and the Human Resources staff.
- Schedules pre-employment physicals and works closely with new employees.
- Processes all internal and external job vacancies.
- Administers the County's Commuter Choice Plan and responds to bus pass and parking questions/issues.
- Processes the department bi-weekly payroll and payroll for the summer employment program.
Gail Stevenson, Employment Administrator - Ext. 3360 email her!
- Works closely with the employment manager and departments during the recruitment/selection process.
- Coordinates/oversees detention officer recruitments.
- Schedules/conducts employment testing.
- Administers the summer hire program; conducts interviews; and coordinates placements with various departments.
Julie Akkerman, HR Analyst - Ext. 3201 email her!
- Prepares/processes Memorandum of Appointments and Agenda items for approval of the Board of Supervisors.
- Inputs all employee changes into the automated payroll software system.
- Assists in development of the Human Resources budget; prepares budget and monitors expenditures.
- Process and provide information to Polk County employees on FMLA issues.
- Assists in Employee Training and Testing.
Mike Campbell, Labor Relations Manager – Ext. 3033 email him!
- Represents management in the negotiations, interpretation, and administration of multiple collective bargaining units
- Oversees and represents the county in administrative law
- Reviews/investigates employee complaints and grievances
- Works with employees requesting FMLA, disability and donated leave.
Lola Evans, Benefits Administrator - Ext. 3203 email her!
- Coordinates Polk County’s deferred compensation program.
- Administers Polk County’s employee medical, dental and life insurance benefits.
- Responds to employee requests on issues related to benefits including health and life insurance, employee eligibility and enrollment, and distribution of policies.
- Coordinates new employee orientation.
Pam Veach, Compensation Administrator - Ext. 3686 email her!
- Administers the county-wide classification and compensation system.
- Maintains the County’s organizational charts.
- Conducts organizational studies.
- Conducts job audits.
- Develops job descriptions.
- Develops the annual Affirmative Action Plan.
Human Resources Department Contact
111 Court Ave, Suite 390
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone : (515) 286-3200
Fax : (515) 286-3316
Department Hours : 8am- 5pm, Mon.-Fri.