Polk County is developing a new jail that will alleviate a
prisoner population that greatly exceeds the capacity of the two
current County jail facilities. This jail will replace the Main
Jail and Interim Jail, both located in downtown Des Moines. The
Main Jail will continue to be used for booking and short-term
holding pending transfer to the new jail.
1,500 bed, multi-classification jail facility.
325,000 square feet, located on 44 acres in Saylor Township.
Directly NW of the intersection of I-80 & I-35.
Address: 5156 NE 22nd Street, Des Moines, IA
The facility will contain housing units, intake & release,
food service & laundry facilities, medical and administrative
units, and judicial support. It is designed for expansion to 2,500
beds in the future.
- July 2006
- June 2008
- July 2008
Begin transition to new facility
||The Durrant Group, 303 Locust St., Des Moines, IA 50309;
||Polk County, Iowa; General Services Dept, 111 Court Ave. Suite
365, Des Moines, IA 50309; 515.286.3215
||Polk County Sheriff; Midland Bldg, 206 6th Ave., Des Moines, IA
||Sitework by Reilly Construction, Des Moines, IA
General Contractor: The Weitz Company, Des Moines, IA
Polk County General Services is working with the Polk County
Sheriff's Office to design and develop technology solutions for the
new Polk County Jail.
Technology initiatives for the new
- Video Visitation with Inmates
- Automated Key Control for Staff
- Remote Inmate Kiosks for Commissary and Inmate Services
- Advanced Security System Including Watch Tour
- Barcode Scanning for Quartermaster, Jail Inventory, Property
Management and Inmate Movement
- Inmate Medical History, Observation and Case Management
- Staff Scheduling Component to Automate Shift Management
- Building Maintenance Management System and HVAC w/Remote
- Advanced Objective Inmate Classification Functionality
- Electronic Document Management and Workflow Enhancements
- Polk County Jail Intranet with Shared Resources and Required
- Collaborative data connectivity with ICN, City of Des Moines
and Des Moines Public schools to provide connectivity to the Polk
County network without the use of third party, leased lines
- This project is one of many data connectivity collaborative
efforts to reduce ongoing infrastructure operating costs for Polk