Polk County Recorder

Tax Calculator

Iowa Real Estate Transfer Tax Calculator

Transfer Tax Calculator 7/1/1991 thru the Present

Calculate real estate transfer tax by entering the total amount paid for the property or find the total amount paid by entering in the revenue tax stamp paid.

This calculation is based on $1.60 per thousand and the first $500 is exempt.

Iowa Real Estate Transfer Tax Calculator
  • Returns either Total Amount Paid or Amount Due.
  • Type your numeric value in either the Total Amount Paid or Amount Due boxes.
  • Do not type commas (,) or dollar signs ($) into number fields.
  • Click anywhere outside that box or press the Tab Key for the result.

More Transfer Tax Info:

What is Transfer Tax?

The tax is imposed on the total amount paid for the property. The tax is paid to the county recorder in the county where the real property is located.

Tax Rate: The calculation is based on $1.60 per thousand, with the first $500 being exempt.

Distribution of Funds: 17.25% of the tax receipts are retained by the county. Of the remaining 82.75%, 90% goes in the State General Fund, 5% in the Housing Trust Fund, and 5% in the Shelter Assistance Fund

Due Date(s) of Returns: Tax is payable when the deed or other instrument conveying the real property is presented for recording.

Contact Us

Polk County Administration Building
111 Court Avenue Ste 250
Des Moines, IA 50309-2251
Phone: 515-286-3160
Fax: 515-323-5393
Email: info@polkrecorder.com