The Polk County Board of Supervisors wishes to provide grant opportunities to enhance community service projects and the quality of life within Polk County. The awards are made possible and funded by rental income received by Polk County from the operation of Prairie Meadows Racetrack and Casino.
Community Development Grants are funding opportunities for local service organizations seeking financial assistance in excess of $5,000 for projects or programs. To be eligible for a Community Development Grant, the applicant organization must have an Internal Revenue Service designation as being non-profit entity. Any request for grant funds below $5,000 should be made through the Community Betterment Grant process.
The Polk County Board of Supervisors has established a formal application process to administer the Community Development Grants. These procedures are also designed to assure proper use of grant funds.
- Application Process
- Community Development Grant Application Instructions are provided in the packet.
- Community Development Grant Application Form shall be completed and returned to the Grant Administrator.
- Community Development Checklist Narrative contains additional requirements and information.
- Grant Administrator may determine that a site visit is conducted to evaluate organizations project.
- Written report provided to Board of Supervisors by Grant Administrator detailing grant request, application information and site visit results.
- Consideration by Board of Supervisors.
- Organizations receiving funding will be subject to a formal written grant agreement.
- A Grant Reporting Form shall be submitted by the organization receiving a Community Development Grant within 90 days of the expenditure of funds. Audited financial statements will be required. Small organizations may submit unaudited statements.
- Monitoring of grants shall be the responsibility of the Grant Administrator, Budget Officer, and the Polk County Auditor’s Office.
The Community Development Grant Program will be administered on a quarterly cycle beginning on July 1st each year. Grant applications will be accepted during the first month of the quarter. Site visits, reports and Board presentations will be completed during the second and third months of the quarter. Awards will be granted to successful applicants following approval by the Polk County Board of Supervisors at the end of the quarter.
- Grant Calendar
- Applications acceptd: July, October, January and April
- Site visits and reports: August/Septmber, November/December, February/March, May/June
- Grant Awards Determined by Board of Supervisor: September, December, March and June
If you have any questions regarding the program, please contact:
Lisa Moody-Tunks at (515)-286-2272