No Idle Campaign
Polk County Public Works, Air Quality Division invites Public & Private Schools to be part of our No Idling Campaign. The exhaust from idling vehicles and school buses is a health risk for children, drivers, and the community. One of the areas where unnecessary idling occurs most often is at schools, when parents or care givers drop off/pick up their children.
Did you know?
- Children are more susceptible to asthma because their lungs are not fully developed, they breathe faster and 50 percent more per pound of body weight than adults.
- Asthma is the most common chronic illness among children.
- Just one vehicle dropping off and picking up one child at school puts about three pounds of pollution into the air per month.
Polk County is prepared to help you adopt a policy that will work for your school. Upon request we can provide:
- No Idling presentation to staff involved
- No Idling parking lot signs free of charge
- No Idling car window decals free of charge
- Letters explaining the benefits of an Idle-Free zone
- Transportation staff
Polk County is committed to reduce idling in our community, and we ask you to join us. By working together, we can do our part to keep Polk County’s air healthy for ourselves, our families, and our community. Please help us spread the message: Turn the key and be Idle Free!
Myths & Facts of Idling
If you have any questions please contact:
Air Monitoring Specialist
Phone: (515) 286-2227