Attorney’s Office

  • How do I terminate a guardianship and/or conservatorship?

    Conservatorships are usually terminated when:

    • there are no resources left, or only social security left, which can be handled by an assigned representative payee, or
    • upon the ward’s death.

    Guardianships are terminated:

    • if created for a minor child that reaches the age of 18 and no longer needs one,
    • a ward has impaired abilities at the time of establishment, but now has achieved a higher level of functioning and can do things that they could not do before, or
    • upon the ward's death
  • Contact Us

    Polk County Attorney's Office
    Polk County Justice Center
    222 Fifth Avenue
    Des Moines, IA 50309

    Phone: (515) 286-3737
    Fax: (515) 286-3428