Attorney’s Office

Frequently Asked Questions (Restitution)

  • Am I entitled to receive restitution from the person who committed the crime against me?

    Yes. The Polk County Attorney's office sends a victim packet to all victims to be returned with the amount of losses due to injury to property damage where a suspect has been identified and charged with the crime. If the defendant is found guilty or pleads guilty to the offense, the Court will order the defendant to pay restitution to the victim. Once restitution is ordered, the Department of Corrections collects restitution from inmates to be paid to their victims.

  • Can I garnish the offender's wages and/or income tax?

    State Income Tax: Once restitution has been ordered by the Court, and the offender is in default, the State of Iowa Clerk of Court will seize the offender’s state income taxes to reimburse victim restitution.

    Wages: Restitution filed in a criminal case is a judgment and lien against all property of the offender for the amount the offender is obligated to pay under the Order, and may be recorded in any Civil Office for a filing of liens against real or personal property. This judgment of restitution may be enforced by the State, the victim(s) entitled to receive restitution under the Order, a deceased victim’s estate, or any other beneficiary of this judgment in the same manner as a civil judgment.

Contact Us

Polk County Attorney's Office
Polk County Justice Center
222 Fifth Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309

Phone: (515) 286-3737
Fax: (515) 286-3428