Attorney’s Office

  • Can I garnish the offender's wages and/or income tax?

    State Income Tax: Once restitution has been ordered by the Court, and the offender is in default, the State of Iowa Clerk of Court will seize the offender’s state income taxes to reimburse victim restitution.

    Wages: Restitution filed in a criminal case is a judgment and lien against all property of the offender for the amount the offender is obligated to pay under the Order, and may be recorded in any Civil Office for a filing of liens against real or personal property. This judgment of restitution may be enforced by the State, the victim(s) entitled to receive restitution under the Order, a deceased victim’s estate, or any other beneficiary of this judgment in the same manner as a civil judgment.

  • Contact Us

    Polk County Attorney's Office
    Polk County Justice Center
    222 Fifth Avenue
    Des Moines, IA 50309

    Phone: (515) 286-3737
    Fax: (515) 286-3428