Attorney’s Office

  • How do I get a Restraining Order?

    There are many different types of Restraining Orders. The reason you need a Restraining Order will determine the process and procedures used to apply for the Order.

    The most common, No Contact Orders, are issued in cases in which a person has been arrested and charged with a crime. These orders are commonly called Criminal No Contact Orders. They are generally issued in cases of domestic abuse assault, harassment, stalking, sexual abuse, and assault. These orders are requested by the Polk County Attorney’s Office at the time of the defendant’s first appearance before a judge.

    Another common order is a Protective Order. These orders are issued through the Civil Court and involve those persons who have been victims of domestic abuse. It is not required that the person who committed the assault be arrested to obtain the order. Applications for the Protective Order may be obtained in Room 115 of the Polk County Courthouse, 5th & Mulberry, Des Moines.

  • Contact Us

    Polk County Attorney's Office
    Polk County Justice Center
    222 Fifth Avenue
    Des Moines, IA 50309

    Phone: (515) 286-3737
    Fax: (515) 286-3428