Attorney’s Office

Frequently Asked Questions (Sex Offender)

  • How can I find out if someone is a registered sex offender?

    There are three ways to find out if someone is a registered sex offender in Polk County:

    1. Information on sex offenders, who are at-risk to re-offend, is given to public schools, day cares, neighborhood associations (if requested), and the news media.
    2. You can contact the Main Jail and view pictures in the Manual of sex offenders who are at-risk to re-offend.
    3. If you know a person's name, you can contact the Main Jail and fill out a request form to search the database for a particular sex offender.

    For more information, call the Sex Offender Registry Desk, located at the Main Jail, at (515) 286-2030.

    For more information on sex offenders in the State of Iowa, contact the Division of Criminal Investigations at (515) 281-3666.

    Click here for the Department of Criminal Investigations Sex Offender Registry.

Contact Us

Polk County Attorney's Office
Polk County Justice Center
222 Fifth Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309

Phone: (515) 286-3737
Fax: (515) 286-3428