Polk County Community, Family & Youth Services

General Assistance Program

  • Where do I apply for emergency assistance?

    You need to apply at the General Assistance office located at Polk County River Place West, 2309 Euclid Avenue, Des Moines.

  • Who is eligible?

    Polk County residents who have an emergency need and who meet eligibility guidelines are eligible for assistance.

  • What is required for me to apply?

    A picture ID and Social Security card are required. Depending upon the type of assistance requested, additional information will be needed.

  • What type of assistance is available?

    If eligible, vouchers may be provided for shelter, utilities, food and personal items. Limited assistance is also available for special needs such as transportation and health needs.

  • How do I know if I am eligible?

    Eligibility is determined through an interview process at the General Assistance office and is based upon income, resources and individual circumstances.

Contact Us

Community & Family Division
Polk County River Place
2309 Euclid Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50310

Youth Services Division
Juvenile Detention 515-286-3344
Centralized Intake 515-286-3350
1548 Hull Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50316