Community, Family and Youth Services volunteers can benefit by knowing that they are making a difference in the lives of others in the community. You may also benefit from sharing yours skills, training in new areas and recognition events. It’s a good way to keep motivated, active and involved.
Some volunteer opportunities that exist:
- Deliver commodity foods to individuals who cannot pick up their own order
- Help with outreach at health and information fairs
- Lead programs and activities at one of our senior and community centers
- Serve as host or hostess of meals and refreshments
- Serve on Boards and committees
- Provide information to visitors
- Plan special events
- Work with youth
- Provide computer support at a senior center
- Lead health and wellness activities
- Intergenerational activities
- Serve as an advocate for older, isolated adults
- Assist in the food pantry
Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and complete an application, and interview process. For more specific information about volunteer opportunities, please contact the specific program where you would like to volunteer.
Senior Services- Contact Senior Services staff at (515) 286-3679
Supplemental Foods- Contact Shelly Bates-Crowe, Program Specialist
Internship opportunties are offered through the following CFYS programs:
Crisis & Advocacy Services (CAS)
Unpaid internships are offered to students studying in a related field. A one semester commitment working at lesat two days per week is required.
If you are interested in an internship position at CAS, contact Joy Ihle, Program Administrator.
We can host unpaid internships in the area of recreation, human services, wellness, and gerontology. Contact Senior Services staff at 515-286-3679 for more information.
We offer unpaid internships to students studying in a related field. We offer everything from short term observation of our facility to long term internships. The student must pass a criminal and child and adult abuse background check. Please contact James Smith for internship information.
All volunteers/interns for CFYS porgrams must pass a criminal background check and a child and adult abuse registry check.
- If you are interested in having a presentation of any of the programs, please contact the respective programs general number from our contacts page.
The Family Enrichment Center (FEC) accepts year round donations of the items listed below. During the holiday season, Thanksgiving/Christmas, the program seeks help with gift donations for the FEC Stars Campaign and food donations for Holiday Gift Baskets which benefits clients participating in the FEC program.
To find out more about donating please call 515-286-3406.
|Personal Care Items
|Clothing, all ages & sizes
||Baby Items & Furniture