Polk County Conservation


Q.     Do you sell firewood?

A.  Polk County Conservation sells firewood in each of the four campgrounds. The campground attendants sell the firewood on Wednesday-Sunday from 6-9 P.M. The cost is $5 dollars per bundle.

 Q.     I’ve noticed ponds in many of the areas that Polk County Conservation owns.  Are there any fish in these ponds?

A.  All of the ponds that Polk County Conservation owns are stocked with many different types of fish.  To view specific park pond information, click here.  Polk County Conservation has mapped each of their ponds and put fish structures in each pond.  A list of ponds as well as a detailed map can be found at the link above.

Q.  Is there camping at Easter Lake? 

A. Camping is not allowed at Easter Lake. However, we do allow camping at Thomas Mitchell Park, Yellow Banks Park, Jester Park, and Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt.

 Q.  Where is the Easter Lake Park beach located at?       

A.  It is located on the north side of Easter Lake Park.  Hours for the beach are Monday-Sunday 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. from Memorial Weekend to Labor Day weekend.

 Q.  What kinds of fish are stocked in Easter Lake?  

A.  There are currently large mouth bass, bluegill, crappie, walleye, channel catfish, and grass carp. Polk County Conservation, along with the IDNR, currently stock walleye, catfish, and largemouth bass annually.

 Q.  Do I set my camping unit up before I register?

A.  Yes, you will need your site number when you register.

Q.  Who do I call in case of an emergency?

A.  The Polk County Sherriff’s Office should be contacted at (515-286-3333).  Once Polk County Dispatch receives your call they will contact a Park Ranger for the park/trail that you are in either by radio or cell phone.

 Q.  When do I have to buy a fishing license?

A.  Residents of Iowa, age 16 and older, need to have a fishing license. Non- residents of Iowa, age 14 and older, need to have a fishing license.  Fishing licenses expire January 10th of each year.

Q.  How old do you have to be to register a campsite?

A.  At least one person in the camping party has to be 18 years of age or older.

 Q.  How many days can I camp for in a campground?

A.  No camping party or camping unit shall occupy any camp area for more than 14 days out of any 17 day period.

Contact Us

Administration Office
12130 NW 128th St
Granger, IA 50109

P: (515) 323-5300
F: (515) 323-5354

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

More Contacts