Mark C. Ackelson Trail Bridge Plaques
Wednesday, December 20, 2017
The 6.2-mile Mark C. Ackelson Trail winding around Easter Lake provides an ideal place for outdoor recreation and scenic views for park visitors. Cycling, skating and hiking opportunities along the trail lie adjacent to playground equipment, fishing piers, a boat ramp, and several picnic areas. Parking and trail access is available from any of the shelters and parking lots located throughout Easter Lake Park as well as at the beach. The north side of the trail is accessible from Ewing Park.
The trail will have many bridges, but the one that will be remembered by trail users is the new 440’ bridge that spans the western arm of the lake. This multiple span bridge mirrors the bow-string design concept of the other bridges on the trail, but the two twin piers with observation bump-outs will make the already scenic bridge an enjoyable spot to pause and enjoy the quiet beauty of Easter Lake.
The trail’s namesake, Mark C. Ackelson, served as President of the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation (INHF) for 18 years where he provided leadership in several conservation efforts. Ackelson’s devoted passion for land, water, and wildlife served in helping INHF to protect and restore 145,000 acres of Iowa’s natural areas. Additionally, he spearheaded efforts to establish hundreds of miles of trails in an effort to support local trailside communities and get Iowans outdoors.
Along the railing of the pedestrian bridge, individual bridge plaque sponsors are recognized with a plaque bearing their name or company name, friend or loved ones’ name(s).
- A $125 - $130 donation entitles you to a plaque until all spaces have been sold.
- Each plaque is an engraved aluminum with satin brush finish measuring 4”w x 2¼” h.
- Sponsors may include up to two lines of text with 17 characters each, including spaces, for a total of 34 characters per plaque.
- An additional line at the top of the plaque, reading — In Memory of — may be added upon request at no charge.
TWO WAYS TO ORDER:
1) Download, print and complete the Bridge Plaque Request Form from HERE. Write the text exactly as you would like it to appear on the Mark C. Ackelson Bridge. Mail the form, along with your check for $125, to:
Great Outdoors Foundation,
PO Box 8071, Des Moines, IA 50301
2) OR... order plaques for the cost of $130 online HERE.
QUESTIONS, please call: (515) 323-5300
Your gift is tax deductible according to current tax law. Your donation confirmation email should be used as your tax deductible receipt.