Park & Trail Closures
Monday, July 15, 2019
Updated on July 15
For updates on Polk County Conservation park and trail closures due to flooding, please refer back to this post, as it will be updated as information is received.
• Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt | Canoe rental closed due to low water.
• Gay Lea Wilson West Trail | Portions of the trail along Four Mile Creek are underwater.
• Great Western Trail | The gravel section along George Flagg Parkway between Gray’s Lake Drive and SW 30th St. has severe washouts.
• Trestle to Trestle Trail | The Lower Beaver tunnel along the trail is currently closed due to high water. The Trestle to Trestle Trail bridge over Lower Beaver in Johnston was washed out by an ice jam in early spring 2019. Designs for the new Trestle to Trestle bridge are currently underway. Construction is anticipated to be completed in 2021.
• Jester Park | Camp Area #6, Shelter #4, and the interior boat ramp is closed. Camp Area #2 is now open for first-come first-served non-electric camping as areas become accessible, with electric sites expected to be up and running by late summer. Both tents and self-contained RV's are welcome.
• Yellow Banks Park | The group camp area near the Des Moines River is closed until further notice.