Park & Trail Closures
Thursday, March 14, 2019
UPDATED: MAY 24
For updates on Polk County Conservation park and trail closures due to flooding, please refer back to this post, as it will be updated as information is received.
• Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt | The campground and canoe rental is closed due to high water.
• Gay Lea Wilson West Trail | Portions of the trail along Four Mile Creek are underwater.
• Great Western Trail | The gravel section along George Flagg Parkway between Gray’s Lake Drive and SW 30th St. has severe washouts.
• Trestle to Trestle Trail | The Trestle to Trestle Trail bridge over Lower Beaver in Johnston has been washed out by an ice jam. Also, the Lower Beaver tunnel along the trail is closed until further notice. A trail re-route will be announced soon.
• Jester Park | Camp Areas #2, #3, #6, and walk-in sites, Shelter #4, Lincoln Access and the interior boat ramps are closed.
• Thomas Mitchell Park | The campground and the showerhouse is currently open, however the dump station will not be functional until late June due to some repair issues. Campers may use the dump station at Yellow Banks Park which is 11 miles away.
• Yellow Banks Park | The group camp area near the Des Moines River is closed until further notice. Campgrounds and water services are turned on.