Crew Leaders (ages 19+) – Stipend of $500/week paid every 2 weeks
Get paid to work outside and inspire young people through environmental stewardship projects. You will work alongside a fellow crew leader to supervise, mentor, and inspire a crew of 10 teens. You’ll gain experience managing a crew, maintaining trails, restoring habitat, creating dialogue around conservation, and leading outdoor recreation activities.
Workdays will typically be Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (including 30 minutes for lunch). The program will include at least one required overnight camping trip per month. Summer lodging may be available if needed.
- Enthusiasm for working outside
- Experience working with youth as a positive role model and teacher
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Great work ethic
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to pass pre-employment background check
- Wilderness First Aid or Basic First Aid certification (acquired prior to start date)
- Capable of motivating diverse youth
- Adaptable to changing circumstances
- Passion for outdoor recreation
- Experience working on environmental stewardship projects
- Able to make good decisions that account for the safety and well-being of the crew
- Standing, walking, sitting, stooping or crouching, kneeling, reaching, talking, hearing
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amounts of force frequently to lift, push, pull, or otherwise move objects and operate equipment
- Willingness and ability to work outside in an environment subject to heat and humidity, sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, or other natural elements
Crew Leaders are expected to be available from May 20 to August 6.
Training will be held May 20-24 and 28-31 in preparation for crews to begin the following week. *May 27, July 4, and July 5 will be unpaid days off.
The 2019 application is now closed. Check back early 2020 for next summer!
- January 2, 2019: Application available
- February 17, 2019: Application deadline for Summer Crew Leaders
- March 4 - 8, 2019: Interviews
- May 20, 2019: Crew Leader training begins