Polk County Conservation

Crew Member

Crew Member (ages 15-18) - Earn a stipend of $200/week paid every 2 weeks

Join a team dedicated to improving Iowa’s parks and natural spaces. You’ll be outside every day getting paid to complete challenging environmental stewardship projects and learn about conservation. About 75% of your time will involve working on projects maintaining trails, removing invasive plants, and accomplishing natural resource management work. The other 25% will be spent learning about topics such as ecology and leadership or enjoying outdoor recreation. The program will include at least one required overnight camping trip.

Summer crews meet at a designated site every morning and afternoon for 4-8 weeks, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (including 30 minutes for lunch). Transportation is provided to project sites.

Basic Qualifications
  • Interested in working outdoors
  • Eager to contribute positively to a team
  • Attentive and receptive to instruction
  • Able to responsibly use tools and follow safety guidelines
Physical Expectations
  • Standing, walking, sitting, stooping or crouching, kneeling, reaching, communicating
  • Exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amounts of force frequently to lift, push, pull, or otherwise move objects and operate equipment
  • Willingness and ability to work outside in an environment subject to heat and humidity, sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, or other natural elements.

 *Crew Member (age 15-18) Application Deadline: March 25, 2019

Summer Sessions

  • June Session: June 3, 2019 – June 28, 2019
  • July Session: July 8, 2019 – August 2, 2019
  • June + July Combined Session: 8 weeks, all dates listed above

2019 Application

The 2019 application is now closed. Check back mid-summer for Fall Crews or early 2020 for next summer!

Application Timeline

  • January 2: Application available
  • March 25: Application deadline for Summer Crew
  • April 1-6: Interviews
  • April 19: Participant offers sent
  • May 3: Participant acceptance deadline (paperwork due)
  • June 3-28: June Crew and 2 month crew starts
  • July 8 - August 2: July Crew

2018 Highlight Video

Contact Us

Administration Office
12130 NW 128th St
Granger, IA 50109

P: (515) 323-5300
F: (515) 323-5354
pccb_info@polkcountyiowa.gov

Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

More Contacts