Our top priority is the health of our citizens and employees. We want to help you do your transactions while social distancing. Please read the following helpful information about personalized and special ordered plates that can be mailed to you and How to Renew Online When You Have a "Stop":
Personalized and special ordered plates ready for pickup
To obtain your personalized/special ordered plate that you have already paid for and received notice that the plates are in our office:
- Your vehicle must be "currently" registered prior to receiving your personalized plate,
- Call our office 515-286-3030 or email car.treasurer@PolkCountyIowa.gov,
- Provide the plate character and/or number combination that is currently displayed on your vehicle,
- Provide the Customer Name on the letter you received from our office, and
- Provide the plate character and/or number combination for your new plate, and
We will mail the new plates and registration to you.
The Governor’s Proclamation April 27, 2020, extends the time to 90 days from May 27, 2020 for pickup of personalized plates.
You are required to mail your original plates back to our office so we can properly update the statewide motor vehicle system to cancel ownership of the plates out of your name and avoid illegal use of your old plates. Our address is 111 Court Ave, Rm 154, Des Moines, IA 50309-2298. It will cost $2.20 (or 4 $0.55 cent USPS stamps) for standard sized plates or $0.65 cents for a small motorcycle plate.
How to Renew When You Cannot Renew Online due to some type of "Stop"
You may settle a "stop" with us at the time of your renewal with guaranteed funds by mail, our drop box at the South of the Polk County Administration Building or over the phone at 515-286-3030. There is a $5 administrative fee and guaranteed funds are cashiers check, money order or credit card. Amounts paid by credit card may only be paid up to $500 with each card. Following are types of "Stop"s you may encounter:
- SR22 insurance: You will need to provide a copy of your AAMVA form. Mail or use our drop box at the South of our building in our parking lot
- Parking tickets: Call the City of Des Moines at 515-283-4209 or visit their website at http://www.dmgov.org/pt/
- Department of Revenue: Call 866-339-7912 or send us guaranteed funds (cashiers check, money order or credit card)
- Polk County Clerk of Court: Call 515-286-3772 or send us guaranteed funds (cashiers check, money order or credit card)
- County Attorney: Call to create payment plan for Clerk of Court Stops 515-286-3077 (they will email a release to us)
- Child Support: Call 888-229-9223; Des Moines 515-242-5530
For Updated Title and Registration Application Deadlines & Plate Proclamation Expiration Information click here
-Click here for Online Vehicle information
-Click here for Online Property Tax Database Information
-Click here to see the number of customers currently waiting in our office (Building is closed due to COVID).
-The hours below are for the Treasurer's different services. Times do NOT include business hours for other offices in the Polk County Administration building.
Payment website 24 hour
7am-4:30pm (serve last calls in queue 4:30-5pm)
- Vehicle Division 515-286-3030
- Property Tax Division 515-286-3060
- Cash Management 515-286-3041, #3
- Administration 515-286-3041
- Vehicle Division 515-323-5202
- Property Tax Division 515-323-5202
- Cash Management 515-286-3375
- Administration 515-286-2225
BUILDING CURRENTLY CLOSED
Walk-in Customers! Review transaction type hours carefully:
- Title transfers: 7am-4pm (last service ticket# issued at 4pm)
- 7am-4:30pm All other business, e.g. vehicle renewals and property tax payments (last service ticket# issued at 4:30pm)
- 4:30-5pm Used to serve last walk-in clients before building doors lock at 5pm
- Dealer: 7am-4pm (last service ticket# issued at 4pm)
- Attn Vehicle Division, Rm 154
- Attn Property Tax Division, Rm 154
- Attn Administration, Rm 140
111 Court Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309-2298
- Walnut Street & Court Avenue Bridges, Free
- Administration Building Parking Lot (County Business Only), $0.50 per hr
- 3rd & Court Parking Ramp - Skywalk Access, $1
- Meter Parking Next to Administration Building, 1.25
Drop Box at Building
South of Administration Building in parking lot. No CASH!