As a Property Owner - You Should Know...

As a property owner in Polk County, you should be aware of the following requirements:

Value Notification: The Polk County Assessor determines property values and provides notification to property owners. Please contact the Assessor's Office at 515-286-3014 for the latest valuation information on your property.

New Ownership: If you are a new owner of a property, contact the Treasurer's Office at 515-286-3060 to update the mailing address and obtain a tax statement if you have not received one.

Mortgages: If your mortgage company is responsible for payment of your tax, contact them to confirm they have the correct tax information for your property.

Late Interest: Failure to receive a tax statement is not a defense to the payment of the tax and any late interest that has accrued. Iowa law requires the Treasurer to assess late interest on all delinquent payments at the rate of 1.5% per month, rounded to the nearest dollar.

The U.S. Postal Service postmark is the only date recognized for date of mailing. We do not accept the date written on your check or a business metered date as proof of the mailing date. Before mailing your payment, check with your local post office to make sure the postmark date will be prior to the late interest date. If you want to be sure that your payment has a postmark before the late interest date, have the post office postmark the envelope in your presence.

Annual Tax Statements: Annual tax statements are mailed once a year in August to the mailing address on file in the Treasurer's Office. The tax statement has two detachable payment stubs. Please return the appropriate installment stub(s) with your payment. Retain the top portion for your records.

Your property tax may be paid in full or in two installments. The first half is due on September 1 and becomes delinquent after September 30. The second half is due March 1 and becomes delinquent after March 31.

You may make partial payments for current or delinquent real estate and mobile home property tax. The amount of the partial payment must be greater than the late interest and cost due. Partial payments are not accepted for special assessments or tax sale redemption payments. For more information concerning partial payments please contact the Polk County Treasurer.

If you have not received a tax statement, please contact the Treasurer's office for a duplicate statement at 515-286-3060.  You can also check our Property Tax Database Inquiry Site for most recent information.

TITLE TRANSFERS: We are open by APPOINTMENT ONLY FOR TITLE TRANSFERS. Until further notice, all other transactions must be done by phone, mail, drop box, or online. All of our 'Contact Us' information and 'Payment Options' can be found on the top menu bar. Pay online anytime at