Calculating Property Taxes and Credits

Where can I get the latest information about my property?

This information can be obtained by contacting the Polk County Treasurer.

Is there any type of credit or help available for elderly, disabled or low-income property owners?

If you are totally disabled or 65 years of age or older and your total household income is less than the amount set by the State of Iowa, you may qualify for tax relief under the provisions of Iowa Code Section 425.16. Applications are available from January 2 through June 1 each year at some neighborhood community centers or at the Treasurer’s Office. Tax credits and exemptions may be reduced pursuant to Iowa Code Section 25B.7. Contact the county treasurer’s office for further information or to obtain the application forms.

Forms may also be downloaded by clicking on the following link:  Iowa Property Tax Credit Claim Forms

How are my property tax dollars spent?

Learn more about "Where Your Property Tax Dollars Go", City of Des Moines video. 

How do I estimate my Net Tax?

How To Calculate Your Estimated Net Tax.

Iowa Property Tax Overview (State of Iowa, IDOR)

Learn more about Iowa property tax and laws administered by the Iowa Department of Revenue.

Learn more about "Where Your Property Tax Dollars Go", City of Des Moines video. 


TITLE TRANSFERS: We are open by APPOINTMENT ONLY FOR TITLE TRANSFERS. Until further notice, all other transactions must be done by phone, mail, drop box, or online. All of our 'Contact Us' information and 'Payment Options' can be found on the top menu bar. Pay online anytime at