Property Tax Statements, More about

Where can I get the latest information about my property?

This information can be obtained by contacting the Polk County Treasurer.

When are property tax statements sent out?

Pursuant to Iowa law, County Treasurers send property tax statements to the titleholder of record each year after taxes are certified by the County Auditor's Office, typically during August. Contact the Polk County Treasurer if you have not received a property tax statement and believe you should have.

How do I change the mailing address on my tax statement?

Contact the Polk County Treasurer to request a change to your mailing address.

Why did I receive a special assessment statement?

Special assessments are taxes due for public improvements such as the paving of streets, installation of new sewer systems, drainage systems, or sidewalks. Special assessments may also be assessed for delinquent water or solid waste/recycling bills. Counties may send a separate tax statement for special assessments due against a property. The special assessment notice mailed indicates the type of special assessment and how much is owed. In most instances special assessments are due with the first installment of property tax in September.

The rates or charges for the services of sewer systems, sewage treatment, solid waste collection, water, disposal, storm water drainage systems, city utility or enterprise charges are a lien on the property receiving services once they are certified to the County Treasurer if they are not paid to the city as provided by ordinance of city council or resolution of the trustees. A lien on the property has equal precedence with ordinary taxes and may be certified to the county treasurer and collected in the same manner as taxes. This lien is not divested by a judicial sale. For more information on this, please refer to Iowa Code 384.67, 384.84, 362.2(2), 331.553.4.

What should I do if I receive a tax statement on a home I recently sold?

You can forward the tax statement to the new owners, return the statement to your County Treasurer with a note indicating ownership has changed, or contact the Polk County Treasurer to inform them of the sale.

Why did I get a tax statement when my mortgage company is responsible for paying my taxes?

Pursuant to Iowa law, the county treasurer is required to mail a tax statement to the titleholder of record on all parcels in the county. Third party payers such as mortgage companies request tax statement information from the County Treasurer if they are responsible for paying your taxes. The tax statement sent to you is intended to inform you of your property tax obligation.

How do mortgage companies obtain my tax statement information?

Your mortgage company must request tax statement information from the county treasurer or obtain it through third party companies who provide tax payment services. You are not required to forward the tax statement sent to you to your mortgage company.

Do I need a tax statement to make my payment?

It is not necessary to have a statement to make payment as long as you indicate the parcel number with your payment and know the correct amount. You may pay online, mail or personally deliver your payment to the treasurer’s office in the county where your property is located. Our online system allows you to make partial payments at your convenience.

Make checks payable to the treasurer of the county where the parcel is located and write your parcel number on the check. The County Treasurer’s Office uses the official U.S. Postal Service Postmark as proof of the mailing date. The Treasurer’s Office does not accept the date written on your check or business metered date. Contact your local post office to verify that the postmark date will be before the delinquent date and ask that they postmark your payment on the day you take it to the post office for delivery.

Property tax payments can be made by Discover card, Master card, Visa card and eCheck at There is a non-refundable service delivery fee to provide this service in addition to your tax amount. Fees are explained on Step 1 of the website. The Polk County Treasurers Office receives only the property tax portion of the total amount due for the online payment.

TITLE TRANSFERS: We are open by APPOINTMENT ONLY FOR TITLE TRANSFERS. Until further notice, all other transactions must be done by phone, mail, drop box, or online. All of our 'Contact Us' information and 'Payment Options' can be found on the top menu bar. Pay online anytime at