County Treasurer Background Image

Vehicle: NEW TO IOWA?

How do I register my vehicle?

You will need:

Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with the county treasurer's office in your county within 30 days from the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though your license plates may still be valid in another state. All applicable fees will be paid at the time of registering. If the vehicle is a lease vehicle, the lessee will need to sign the Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration for a Leased Vehicle (Iowa DOT form 411179). The lessee will also be required to pay a 5% one-time new registration fee on the remaining balance of the lease on the form: Vehicle Lease Worksheet for Move-ins 35-051.pdf (Iowa Department of Revenue form).

Link to the Iowa DOT’s Fee Estimator for registration and/or title fees.  The 'purchase date' will be your date you moved into Iowa.  Be sure to mark the box to "Include postage amounts"; and....if you are not surrendering your title at this time, minus out the $25 for the fee.

Note: If obtaining only an Iowa registration and plates, using your registration or a copy of your title, you will be required to obtain an Iowa title if and when you sell your vehicle in Iowa. You will make Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration (Iowa DOT form 411007) and submit your title from your last state.  If you sell your vehicle out-of-state, an Iowa title is not required by Iowa.


Polk County Administration Building is closed until further notice--See our website for customer service updates - Pay online anytime at