Vehicle Registration Refunds / Credits
If you sell a vehicle and DO NOT replace the vehicle within 30 days you may apply for a refund. The following is required:
- You have up to six months after you sell your vehicle to apply for a refund Claim for Refund form (Iowa DOT form 411047) and submit to your County Treasurer.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund. The refund is calculated from the date the vehicle is disposed to the expiration of the registration.
- The license plates must be turned in and the date of disposal disclosed at any county treasurer’s office through mail or in person (except leased vehicles).
- The refund is electronically submitted to the State of Iowa by the County Treasurer and the refund will take approximately four weeks to receive.
If you turn-in a leased vehicle, you may apply for a refund for the unused portion of the registration renewal paid.
- You will need to complete the Leased Termination section of the Notice of Sale of Vehicle and Delivery of Title (Iowa DOT form 411107), and
- Your plates, and
- Submit both to your county treasurer's office by mail or in person.
- You have up to six months to apply for a refund from the time you register your vehicle in the other state.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund.
- Your Iowa plates, a copy of the out-of-state registration, and Claim for Refund form (Iowa DOT form 411047) are submitted to the County Treasurer.
To use the credit from a vehicle at the time of transfer of your new vehicle, you must sell, trade, or junk your old vehicle and you have 6 months in which to use those plates/credit on a new vehicle.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a credit.
- The plate number and VIN of the vehicle sold shall be listed on the Iowa Application for Title and/or Registration.
Other types of registration refunds and instructions can be found completing the Claim for Refund form listed above and submit to your county treasurer's office.
All of our 'Contact Us' information and 'Payment Options' can be found on the top menu bar.