Vehicle Registration Refunds / Credits
If you sell a vehicle and DO NOT replace the vehicle within 30 days you may apply for a refund. The following is required:
- You have up to six months after you sell your vehicle to apply for a refund Claim for Refund form (Iowa DOT form 411047) and submit to your County Treasurer.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund. The refund is calculated from the date the vehicle is disposed to the expiration of the registration.
- The license plates must be turned in and the date of disposal disclosed at any county treasurer’s office through mail or in person (except leased vehicles).
- The refund is electronically submitted to the State of Iowa by the County Treasurer and the refund will take approximately four weeks to receive.
If you turn-in a leased vehicle, you may apply for a refund for the unused portion of the registration renewal paid.
- You will need to complete the Leased Termination section of the Notice of Sale of Vehicle and Delivery of Title (Iowa DOT form 411107), and
- Your plates, and
- Submit both to your county treasurer's office by mail or in person.
- You have up to six months to apply for a refund from the time you register your vehicle in the other state.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a refund.
- Your Iowa plates, a copy of the out-of-state registration, and Claim for Refund form (Iowa DOT form 411047) are submitted to the County Treasurer.
To use the credit from a vehicle at the time of transfer of your new vehicle, you must sell, trade, or junk your old vehicle and you have 6 months in which to use those plates/credit on a new vehicle.
- The calculated unused portion of the registration fee must be $10 or more to receive a credit.
- The plate number and VIN of the vehicle sold shall be listed on the Iowa Application for Title and/or Registration.
Other types of registration refunds and instructions can be found completing the Claim for Refund form listed above and submit to your county treasurer's office.