Vehicle Registration Renewals, Storage, & Renewal STOPS

Payment Options - Use this link to review all your payment options!

How do I store my vehicle(s)?

You must surrender your license plates and registration for each vehicle to the Treasurer on or before the last day of the month following the owner’s registration renewal month.  You can re-register your vehicle at any time in the future with the payment of the full annual registration fee due at that time.  You CANNOT store any delinquent plate or first ½ truck, truck tractor or farm special plate.

Vehicle hasn't been registered for Years?

If the vehicle has not been registered for many years, the vehicle may have dropped off the state motor vehicle system. The title or old registration (the most recent is preferred) will help us research and re-establish the record for re-registering or to obtain a replacement title. If one is not available, bring in the VIN or plate number.  If we are unable to locate the vehicle in our records, you will need to apply for a title through the Bonded process with Application for Registration and Bonded Certificate of Title (Iowa DOT form 411008)

Proof of Insurance

If you are required to carry SR22 insurance, you will be required to provide proof upon renewing or transferring a vehicle into your name.  This proof is provided in the AAMVA form.  You may need to contact your insurance company if you do not have one. Otherwise, you are required to carry insurance in your vehicle at all times but do not have to provide your insurance card when renewing or titling a vehicle.

Renewal Stops

How to Renew When You Cannot Renew Online due to some type of "Stop"

You may settle a "stop" with us at the time of your renewal with Guaranteed funds by mail, our drop box at the South of the Polk County Administration Building or over the phone at 515-286-3030.  There is a $5 administrative fee and guaranteed funds are cash, check or money order.  Amounts paid by credit card may only be paid up to $500 with each card.   Following are types of "Stop"s you may encounter:

  • SR22 insurance:  You will need to provide a copy of your AAMVA form. Mail or use our drop box at the South of our building in our parking lot
  • Parking tickets:  Call the City of Des Moines at 515-283-4209 or visit their website at
  • Department of Revenue:  Call 866-339-7912 or pay us by guaranteed funds (cash, cashier's check, credit card or money order)
  • Polk County Clerk of Court:  Call 515-286-3772 or pay us by guaranteed funds (cash, cashier's check, credit card or money order)
  • County Attorney:  Call to create payment plan for Clerk of Court Stops 515-286-3077 (they will email a release to us)
  • Child Support:  Call 888-229-9223; Des Moines 515-242-5530

All of our 'Contact Us' information and 'Payment Options' can be found on the top menu bar.

TITLE TRANSFERS are available by appointment. You may schedule an appointment using the 'Appointment' link in the menu bar. Visit our 24 hour payment site at