Flood Resources

How can flood impacted residents get assistance?

Immediate assistance
Below is a list of resources residents can use who were impacted by the flood. 

Polk County Health Department – medical assessment, help with medications and tetanus vaccines. For additional information, please call (515) 286-3798.

Polk County Health Services – mental health services and resources. For additional information, please call (515) 243-4545.

Polk County Public Works – pumps to assist cleaning out basements. For additional information, please call (515) 286-3705.

Polk County General Assistance – financial assistance with bills, rent and any other flood expenses. For additional information, please call (515) 286-2088.

United Way – volunteer coordination. For additional information, please call (515) 246-6519.

Red Cross – clean up kits and case management. For additional information, please call (515) 243-7681.

MidAmerican Energy – help with turning gas and electric back on in homes. For additional information, please call 1-888-427-5632.

IMPACT – provide temporary housing, food assistance, personal property assistance and home repair. For additional information, please call (515) 274-1334.

Iowa Legal Aid – legal assistance for tenants with flood damage questions and concerns. For additional information, please call (515) 243-1193.

Salvation Army – flood recovery kits, food assistance and additional assistance. For additional information, please call (515) 282-3599.

Community Debris Management – Please visit https://www.mwatoday.com/news/alerts/flood-debris-info.aspx to find out what each city is doing for debris management pickup.

Mold Resources

EPA: https://www.epa.gov/mold/resources-flood-cleanup-and-mold
CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/mold/

What financial assistance is available to flood impacted residents?

The Iowa Individual Assistance Grant Program for qualifying residents of Polk County. The grant program provides up to $5,000 for households with incomes up to 200 percent of the federal poverty level or a maximum annual income of $41,560 for a family of three. Grants are available for home or car repairs, replacement of clothing or food and temporary housing expenses not covered by insurance or other grant programs. Original receipts are required for those seeking reimbursement for actual expenses related to storm recovery. The grant application and instructions are available on the Iowa Department of Human Services website at http://dhs.iowa.gov/disaster-assistance-programs. Potential applicants have 45 days from the date of the proclamation to submit a claim.  For information on the Individual Assistance Grant Program in Polk County, contact IMPACT Community Action Partnership at http://www.impactcap.org

Will residents be able to get federal funding such as FEMA?
In order to qualify for federal funding, Polk County is working to report the extent and severity of damage to FEMA. FEMA then determines our qualification for federal and individual assistance. To meet this threshold, it is very important for residents to report a damage assessment to 211, the Disaster Recovery Center or self-report it to Polk County Emergency Management’s website where it says “Click here to report impacts from flash floods.” Make sure to take LOTS of pictures for damage reports so we can see the physical damage done to your home or property. Polk County and the impacted cities are working very hard to get the damage assessments completed in a timely manner.

Community specific resources and services

Resources for Urbandale residents

  • Residents can apply for Urbandale’s Storm Water Grant Program to assist with storm water management on private property. These funds may be granted to property owners to prevent or repair storm water related damage and to improve drainage. For more information visit: http://www.urbandale.org/563/Storm-Water-Grant-Program
  • Urbandale Public Works offers bulk item collection twice a month, every month, for a small fee. To request this service please call 515-278-3950 or email pweng@urbandale.org
  • The City of Urbandale participates in The Metro Home Improvement Program. Assistance is provided for housing repairs such as sump pump installation, basic repairs (walls, roof, foundation), building systems (electrical, plumping, heating), weatherization (insulation, windows, siding), handicap accessibility (ramps and bathroom facilities), as well as any city code violations up to $12,500. For more information visit http://www.urbandale.org/633/Metro-Home-Improvement-Program


Resources for Johnston residents

Johnston Partnership, which has food and clothing available for Johnston residents. They are located at 5870 Merle Hay Road. The hours are Tue/Thurs 9 a.m. to noon and Sat 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This link is also available on our website through our resource center http://www.cityofjohnston.com/DocumentCenter/View/4996/JohnstonResourceGuideHyperlinks?bidId

Resources of Clive residents

  • The City of Clive and Polk County Emergency Management are asking residents and businesses to report storm and flood damage to homes, businesses, public buildings, roads, and other property.  This information will be collected by the Iowa Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management and shared with the City of Clive.  Your reports will help with future flood mitigation, and may trigger additional state and federal government support for Clive residents and businesses.  You can directly enter damage information through the Iowa Department of Homeland Security form at: https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/162782ba447e494a8a82fdae29625fd4?
  • City of Clive Staff are conducting free inspections of flood and storm damaged properties. Staff will help you evaluate whether your building is safe, identify materials that may still need to be removed, and help report your damage to Polk County Emergency Management. To request an inspection, please contact City of Clive Community Development at 515-223-6221, or cassistant@cityofclive.com.
  • The City of Clive is waiving all permit fees for repairs and improvements related to the recent storm and flooding.  As you begin repairing flood and storm damaged areas, watch out for scams and individuals posing as legitimate contractors.  Stay in close communication with your insurance provider and work only with licensed, reputable contractors.  Visit the Iowa Attorney General’s site for guidance on selecting contractors: https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/for-consumers/general-consumer-information/home-improvements--repairs/natural-disasters-cleanup-and-repairs


  • On Friday July 6 the City of Clive had a special flood debris pickup event.  At this time there are no additional debris pickups scheduled.  Residents and businesses can use their regular curbside garbage and recycling totes to dispose of debris, or contract with a private debris hauler.  Pickup for water damaged appliances can be scheduled by calling the City’s contracted waste hauler Waste Management at 515-265-5267.  Waste Management also offers special collection service for large amounts of debris through their “Bagster” program.  More information can be found on their website: https://thebagster.com/default.aspx
  • Hazardous waste that requires special disposal—such as paint, herbicides, lawn chemicals, pool chemicals, antifreeze, batteries, and used motor oil—must be disposed of appropriately.  Visit Metro Waste Authority for information on safe disposal of hazardous waste: www.mwatoday.com.
  • Information about how to safely clean up flood damaged properties is available at the Polk County Health Department site: /health/programs/disaster-response/flood-related-health-information/
  • Additional information on cleanup and repairing flooded buildings is available on the City of Clive website: http://www.cityofclive.com/government/community-development/construction-services-division/construction-services-corner


Resources for Ankeny residents

  • Cleanup kits provided by the Red Cross are available at the Ankeny Fire Station Headquarters, 120 NW Ash Drive.
  • Ankeny Service Center works with clients to identify needs, develop solutions, utilize qualified partners and make the appropriate referrals.  Programs we operate include: Holiday Assistance, emergency assistance, transportation services for seniors and food assistance. 406 SW School Street Suite 116, Ankeny, IA 50023, contact 515-965-1976.
  • IMPACT Community Action Partnership - Emergency Food Pantry, free garden seeds, Low-income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP), special holiday projects, Federal Emergency Management Assistance Programs (FEMA), budget counseling to maintain utilities and telephone services. Contact: (515) 965-0433
  • Storm Water Best Management Practices (BMP) Reimbursement Program allows Ankeny landowners, businesses, and schools to incorporate storm water BMPs on their property to improve the water quality and decrease the water quantity in our streams and detention basins. The program is intended to help cover the cost of materials and/or contracted labor to install such practices. Email Amy Bryant at abryant@ankenyiowa.gov or call 963-3542 for more information.
  • Metro Home Improvement Program provides assistance is for housing repairs such as siding, roofs, windows, electrical and plumbing, as well as any city code violations up to $12,500. The awards are in the form of a five-year forgivable loan to eligible households with income less than 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for Polk County. Eligible property types are single family dwellings and do not include mobile homes, homes being purchased on contract, duplexes or rental units. For more information visit: https://www.ankenyiowa.gov/our-city/departments/planning-and-building/metro-home-improvement-program.