Guided Trail Rides
Come saddle up and join us in the great outdoors for a scenic trail ride! You will be guided by our outgoing wranglers and taken care of by our string of beginner-friendly horses. We’ll ride through the timber of Jester Park and take in the picturesque view of Saylorville Lake.
Due to damages on our lower trail system from the floods, our trail rides will be limited to the upper loops in the timber at Jester Park. You can expect around half-an-hour of riding time and the pricing has been discounted from $45/person to $35/person for this abbreviate ride time. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at JPEC_info@polkcountyiowa.gov or call us at 515-999-2818.
Reservations are required. Make sure to get signed up ONLINE before heading out to the barn. You can make your reservation by clicking the blue 'Book Now' button on the image above OR on the calendar at the bottom of this webpage.
Need to Know
- Guided Trail Rides are $35 per person.
- Your reservation will include all check in procedures, riding instruction, and approx. a half-an-hour of 'saddle-time' on the trails. The entire booking will be around a hour up-to and hour-and-a-half.
- Rides depart at the following times: 9:30am, 11:00am, 2:00pm, 3:30pm and are regularly scheduled on Friday, Saturday, and Sundays based on availability.
- Please arrive on time! Guests who are late by more than 5 minutes to their scheduled reservation will forfeit their booking with no refund.
- There is a rider weight limit of 250lbs and a minimum rider height requirement of 48" (4'0") tall. These requirements are for the safety of all guests and our horses.
- Minimum age requirement of 8-years-old. Minors must be accompanied by an adult (18yo+) in their party on the ride.
- Trail ride groups are limited to 4 children under the age of 12-years-old.
- There is no age limit, however all riders must be physically able to mount from a mounting block and dismount to the ground under their own power and take basic riding instruction.
- All riders MUST wear a JPEC ATSM Approved Helmet.
- All trail rides are walk only.
- JPEC has the right to refuse service if there are safety concerns for any participants, the horses, or staff.
- Please review Jester Park Equestrian Center’s Weather Guidelines and Policies for important information on your trail ride in relation to extreme temperatures or weather.
- Please review Jester Park Equestrian Center’s Guided Trail Rides Cancellation Policies.
What to Expect
When you arrive you will be checked in by a JPEC Wrangler who will confirm your reservation and ensure that you are paid in full and all riders have their liability release forms completed. If you do not have your liability release forms completed prior to arriving at the equestrian center, please arrive 10-15 minutes early to your reservation to complete them in person!
After all riders have been checked in, the group will get fit for helmets and receive instructions on how to steer and ride your horse. You will be assigned to a friendly horse based off your size, riding ability, and other factors. Please be attentive to the instructions from your wrangler to ensure a safe and enjoyable trail ride! Your group will be mounted and then you all will head out on the trails!
While on your ride you will be in control of your own horse. This means that you must steer your horse like you would steer a car, no texting (or taking selfies) while riding please! Our trail ride takes you through peaceful timber woods, down and up hills on roller-coaster trail, and catch peaks of Saylorville Lake. Our guided trail rides are walk only, no exceptions.
What to Wear
- Sturdy, closed toed shoes are REQUIRED. Riders with unacceptable footwear will be not able to ride and will forfeit their ride. For more information on appropriate footwear check out this handy guide.
- Long pants - preferably jeans (for your comfort!) are suggested.
- Sun screen and bug spay is highly recommended!
- Helmets will be provided by JPEC so you will not be able to ride with a hat or any other hair pieces.
If you have any additional questions prior to your trail ride, please don't hesitate to reach out to us! We look forward to seeing you out on the trails! Questions or concerns? Email us at JPEC_info@polkcountyiowa.gov