Join us when the snow flies and we’ll hitch up one of our draft horse teams to take your group out for a 45-minute Sleigh Ride through Jester Park. Even if there’s no snow, plan for a wagon on wheels instead of a sleigh on runners. After all, it’s all about spending time with your loved ones, not the vehicle you’re riding in!
Please scroll to the bottom of the page for our Sleigh Ride Availability Calendar!
Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides are great for all ages. Children 3 and under are free as long as they sit on the lap of an adult.
NEED TO KNOW
- Sleigh Rides require a minimum of 6 inches of packed snow as a proper base for the sleigh runners to operate safely and effectively. Sleigh rides may be substituted for a wagon ride at the discretion of JPEC and the sleigh/wagon drivers who will assess the footing daily. We will attempt to inform groups ahead of time if their ride will require the substitution for a wagon, but we cannot guarantee this as the footing changes hourly based on temperatures and snowfall.
- Sleigh Rides are approx. 30-45 minutes through the trails of Jester Park and are highly weather dependent.
- Sleigh Rides are scheduled on the hour and the first 10 minutes are for group check in. The rides depart promptly at 10-minutes after the hour.
- All Sleigh Rides require a reservation.
- JPEC has two sizes of sleighs, the largest carrying up to 8 adults comfortably. Plan to snuggle with your loved ones!
- For parties larger than 8 persons, please contact us at JPEC_info@polkcountyiowa.gov for scheduling opportunities.
- Hand-held snacks and non-alcoholic drinks are welcome on the sleigh ride. In the event of cooler weather, riders are encouraged to bring blankets!
- Dogs and other small animals are NOT permitted on the sleigh ride.
SLEIGH RIDE PRICING
- Private Sleigh Ride (seating between 5-8 adults) - $125
- Children under 3 years old are free. However, they will be required to sit on an adult's lap.
What if There is No Snow?
In the event that your reservation date ends up with little to no snow, we have an alternative options for your group.
- If the footing is safe to take out a wagon, you will be offered a Wagon Ride as a substitution the day of your reservation.
In the event we are unable to take your group out on a sleigh ride OR wagon ride (ie: icy footing, real feel below 0°, etc.), you will be offered an opportunity to rebook your ride OR a full refund.
Questions, concerns, or for information on larger parties/special interest groups, please contact us at (515) 999-2818 or send us an email at JPEC_info@polkcountyiowa.gov!
NOTICE: We do NOT take reservations for sleigh rides outside the week of our holiday sleigh rides unless we have the minimum 6-inch packed snow base required to safely run our sleighs! If there are no availabilities listed, that means we are currently not scheduling sleigh rides!