Public Health's Role
One of Polk County Health Department’s roles is to respond to disasters and assist communities in recovery ...
Read full article ... "Disaster Response - Public Health's Role".
Quarantine and Isolation
- Quarantine and Isolation for Public Health
- Polk County Quarantine and Isolation Ordinance
- English Brochure "Or You Could Just Stay Home When You're Sick"
- Folleto español "o usted puede simplemente quedarse en casa cuando esté enfermo"
- "Or You Could Just Stay Home When You're Sick" Poster
To learn more about Medical Reserve Corp or to sign up, visit their website at www.polkcountyiowa.gov/mrc/
To contact us, call Pat Sweeney at 515 286-3667 or e-mail email@example.com
Disaster Planning Resources
- Polk County Emergency Management - Get a Kit
- Polk County Emergency Management - Make a Plan
- Polk County Emergency Management - Be Informed
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says: A bioterrorism attack is the deliberate release of viruses, bacteria, or other germs (agents) used to cause illness or death in people, animals, or plants. These agents are typically found in nature, but it is possible that they could be changed to increase their ability to cause disease, make them resistant to current medicines, or to increase their ability to be spread into the environment. Biological agents can be spread through the air, through water, or in food. Terrorists may use biological agents because they can be extremely difficult to detect and do not cause illness for several hours to several days. Some bioterrorism agents, like the smallpox virus, can be spread from person to person and some, like anthrax, can not (CDC.gov).
The following fact sheets contain information on possible bioterrorism agents:
- Dirty Bombs
- Sulfur Mustard
- Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers