Flood Recovery Disaster Center Hours for Thursday
(Des Moines, IA) – Polk County and community partners will re-open the Flood Disaster Recovery Center Thursday, July 5 from 8 AM – 2 PM. The center is located at Polk County River Place (2309 Euclid Ave.). The center will be closed Wednesday, July 4 for the holiday.
Community partners from the follow organization will be on hand to provide resources and assistance:
- Polk County Health Department – medical assessment, help with medications and tetanus vaccines
- Polk County Health Services – mental health services and resources
- Polk County Public Works – pumps to assist cleaning out basements
- Polk County General Assistance – financial assistance
- City of Des Moines – partnering with Polk County Public Works to help with neighborhood lean up and pumps to assist cleaning out basements
- United Way – volunteer coordination
- Red Cross – clean up kits, case management and food assistance
- MidAmerican Energy – help with gas and electric in homes
- IMPACT – provide referrals to resources and case management
- Legal Aid – legal assistance for tenants with landlords
- Salvation Army – flood recovery kits
DART will be providing free rides from the shelter or to the flood disaster recovery center. Individuals can also contact 211 for additional resources and questions regarding the flood recovery center.
Individual grants of up to $5,000 are available through the Department of Human Services for low income families who were affected by the flooding. Applications are due by August 16 to Impact Community Action Agency. Download the form, learn about income restrictions or contact IMPACT at https://dhs.iowa.gov/disaster-assistance-programs.
If you have questions about your city’s debris management pickup, call your city government. To report damage of your home or property, please report that information to the Flood Disaster Recovery Center or by calling 211. In order to handle flood damage calls efficiently, please call 211 between the hours of 8 AM - 10 PM to report your damage assessment. If you have a phone number without a 515 area code, please call 1-800 244-7431 to access 211 services.