Heat Advisory Continued for Central Iowa
The National Weather Service has continued a heat advisory for Central Iowa until 7:00 PM today.
Daytime cooling centers are open. DART will be giving free rides to and from daytime cooling centers. Please contact 211 or visit www.polkcountyiowa.gov/health to find a daytime cooling center near you.
We urge individuals to take the following precautions:
- Two hours of respite in air conditioning can prevent heat-related illness and death from extreme heat.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after spending time outdoors. DO NOT wait until you are thirsty to drink. Avoid drinking alcoholic and caffeinated beverages as they dehydrate you.
- Be aware of the signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Seek medical care immediately if you or someone you know has, symptoms of heat-related illness like muscle cramps, headaches, nausea or vomiting.
- Never leave infants or children in a parked car. Nor should pets be left in parked cars—they can suffer heat-related illness too.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who do not have or use air conditioning and assist with plans for taking precautions. Daytime cooling centers are available to the public throughout the community.
- Call 211 for resources and assistance.