Polk County and Partners Open Flood Disaster Recovery Center
(Des Moines, IA) – Polk County and partners throughout the metro area will be hosting a flood disaster recovery center for those impacted by the floods. The flood disaster recovery center will be located at Polk County River Place (2309 Euclid Ave.) starting at 1:00 PM Monday, July 2, 2018. The center will be open Monday, July 2 from 1 – 6 PM and Tuesday, July 3 from 8 AM – 6 PM. The center will be closed Wednesday, July 4 to reassess resources and services for the reminder of the week.
Community partners from the follow organization will be on hand to provide resources and assistance:
- Polk County Health Department – medical assessment, help with medications and tetanus vaccines
- Polk County Health Services – mental health services and resources
- Polk County Public Works – pumps to assist cleaning out basements
- Polk County General Assistance – financial assistance
- City of Des Moines – partnering with Polk County Public Works to help with neighborhood
clean up and pumps to assist cleaning out basements
- United Way – volunteer coordination
- Red Cross – clean up kits, case management and food assistance
- MidAmerican Energy – help with gas and electric in homes
- IMPACT – provide referrals to resources and case management
- Legal Aid – legal assistance for tenants with landlords
- Salvation Army – flood recovery kits
DART will be providing free rides from the shelter or to the flood disaster recovery center. Individuals can also contact 211 for additional resources and questions regarding the flood recovery center.