Updated Polk County Service Modifications And Closures (04-01-2020)
DES MOINES, Iowa – March 23 2020 — To protect the health and safety of Polk County employees and the general public the following closures and service modifications will be effective beginning 8:00 am on March 18, 2020 until further notice. The large majority of Polk County services can be done online or by phone so please visit www.polkcountyiowa.gov to learn more. For the limited services that will be provided at Polk County locations all visitors will be screened for symptoms or possible exposure prior to entering the building (NOTE: this is not a COVID-19 diagnostic test, it is a non-invasive temperature check and health questionnaire). All visitors who can otherwise conduct their business online will not be allowed in the building.
Polk County Board of Supervisors Chair Matt McCoy said “Polk County has a responsibility to care for the most vulnerable residents in our County and during this unprecedented time we will continue to provide these essential services in a manner that protects our employees and the public. This is a continuously evolving situation and we will continue to modify our operations always with the health and safety of our employees and the public at the forefront.”
Polk County Administration Building (111 Court Avenue)
- Assessor – is closed to the public. All services will be provided online or via the phone. Call 286-3014 to learn more.
- Passport applications are suspended.
- Real estate recordings can be done online or by email. Call 286-3160 for assistance.
- Renewal of boats and other recreational vehicles can be done online. Other DNR services will be processed through the mail.
- Mailed requests for certified copies of births, deaths, marriages and marriage applications. Same day service has been suspended for both certified copies and marriage applications. For further information contact the Vital Records Department at 515-286-3781.
- All vehicle registrations and property tax payments can be done on our payment website www.IowaTaxAndTags.org, by mail, by using the South lot drop box, or by phone (Tax 286-3060, Vehicle 286-3030).
- Tax Sale Buyers can deposit certificates for reimbursement in the South lot drop box.
- Tax Sale redemption payments can be deposited in the South lot drop box.
- Abstract company payments can be deposited in the South lot drop box.
- Vehicle Iowa Dealers are required to have all paperwork completed ahead of time and will only be able to drop off/pick up transactions at the door with our courier until 4:00 pm.
Polk County Jail (1985 NE 51st Place) – no visitors allowed. Internet visits can be set up at
https://www.iwebvisit.com Call 323-5400 with questions.
Polk County Sheriff Dispatch (6023 NE 14th St.) – no visitors allowed.
Polk County Sheriff Weapon Permits – will be done online only at: www.polkcountyiowa.gov/sheriff/divisions/law-enforcement-services/weapons-permits/
Polk County Sheriff Civil Office – all forms and explanation for online requests (www.polkcountyiowa.gov/sheriff/divisions/court-services-division/civil-process/).
Polk County Youth Detention (1548 Hull Ave) – no visitors allowed. Call 286-3350 with questions.
Polk County Public Works – closed to the public. All services will be provided online or via the phone. Call 286-3705 to learn more.
Polk County Health Department (1907 Carpenter Ave) – many essential health care services will be continued including: immunization clinics, STD testing and treatment, breast & cervical cancer screenings. Please call ahead at 286-3798.
Polk County River Place (2309 Euclid Ave)
- General Assistance – all applications will be processed by phone or email. Appointments will be made as needed. Please call 515-286-2088 or e-mail GA.Intake@polkcountyiowa.gov.
- Family Enrichment Center – no public access. Please call 286-3406 for an appointment.
- Crisis Advocacy – services are available by appointment only. Call 286-3600.
- Veteran Affairs – all services can be conducted online or via phone. Call 286-3670.
- Supplemental Foods – all food will be provided via delivery.
- EMBARC – no public access. Case management will be done through 4807 Franklin Ave.
Polk County Senior Services -
- Polk County Community and Congregate Meal sites will be closed for group activities. However, meals will continue to be provided to interested and registered congregate meal participants from 11am to 1pm in a “drive-through” system in the parking lots of the following centers: Norwoodville, South, East, North, Northwest, West, Central, Ankeny and Grimes. Meals can be reserved for future days by calling the selected site or at the time of picking up a meal. For more information call 286-3679 or go to /cfys/services/senior-center-locations-and-activity-calendars
- Polk County Community Evening Meals at the Norwoodville, Central, West and South Community Centers will be served from 1:45pm to 2:30pm and will be delivered outside.
- Polk County food pantries will take and deliver orders in the parking lot.