New and/or transferred vessels are registered with the Polk County Recorder. All boat registrations expired on April 30th, 2013 and are subject to a $5.00 penalty. Boat fees are based on the length and type of the boat (see table below).
|Type of Transaction||Fee|
|New Boat or Reactivate - Documented Vessel
|Renew Registration - Documented Vessel
|New Boat or Reactivate - All personal watercraft
|Renew Registration - All personal Watercraft
|New Boat or Reactivate - Any length, without motor or sail
|Renew Registration - Any length, without motor or sail
|New Boat or Reactivate - Less than 16ft (Motor/Sail)
|Renew Registration - Less than 16ft (Motor/Sail)
|New Boat or Reactivate - 16ft to under 26ft (Motor/Sail)
|Renew Registration - 16ft to under 26ft (Motor/Sail)
|New Boat or Reactivate - 26ft to under 40ft (Motor/Sail)
|Renew Registration - 26ft to under 40ft (Motor/Sail)
|New Boat or Reactivate - 40ft and over (Motor/Sail)
|Renew Registration - 40ft and over (Motor/Sail)
|Transfers - On Current Registrations
*$5.00 Penalty May Apply/ Add $1.00 Handling Fee If Mailing in Payment
Transfers need bill of sale, title if (applicable) and registration all signed by seller.
Boats with a lien and boats that are 17' and over in length (except canoes and kayaks) are required to be titled.
The fee for boat titles are:
- Title Fees: $12.75
- Lien Fees: $12.75
- Duplicate Title Fees: $12.75
Application for Boat Certificate of Title
BILL OF SALE REQUIRED FOR ALL TRANSFERS
Effective July 1, 2005 per the Iowa Department of Revenue:
- Per section 45 of SF 413 amended Iowa Code section 423.3(39).
- Sales of all recreational vehicles are subject to the 6% State sales tax (plus any local option taxes). This applies to sales by individuals and dealers.
- Anyone purchasing a boat from an individual should obtain a receipt that shows the cost of the boat. The buyer will then pay the sales tax on the cost of the boat to the County Recorder.
- If a trailer is purchased with the boat, the 5% motor vehicle use tax is paid to the County Treasurer.
Instructions for Boat Decals