Polk County Recorder

Frequently Asked Questions (General)

  • Where are you located?

    The Recorder's Office is located in the Polk County Administrative Building, 111 Court Ave, Suite 250 (2nd & Court Ave).  If you need driving directions please click here.

  • What forms of payment do you accept?

    We accept credit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), cash, check (make checks payable to the Polk County Recorder) or money order.

  • What are your hours of business?

    We are open Monday thru Friday from 7:30am to 5:00pm.  Our Real Estate Fee Desk closes at 4:30pm, which means any document presented for filing after that time will go on the record the next business day.  Walk-In Passport Services are available to the public from 7:30am to 3:45pm, Monday thru Friday.

  • Do you have property abstracts on file?

    No. Abstracts are not filed in our office.

  • How do I add or take somebody off the title of my property?

    You can file a "Quit Claim Deed" in our office.  We don't have the form available in our office but you can have a lawyer draw one up for you, get one online or some local office supply stores have the form for purchase.

  • Who can get a copy of a Military Record?

    Veterans and next-of-kin of deceased veterans have the same rights to full access to the record.  Next-of-kin are the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran.  For more information click here.

  • Does your office handle Divorce Records?

    No. The Polk County Clerk of Court can help you with Divorce Records.  You can contact them at 515-286-3772.

  • Do you fax copies of documents?

    Yes. For more info, click here.

Contact Us

Polk County Administration Building
111 Court Avenue Ste 250
Des Moines, IA 50309-2251
Phone: 515-286-3160
Fax: 515-323-5393