Polk County Treasurer

Calculating Property Taxes and Credits

  • Where can I get the latest information about my property?

    This information can be obtained by contacting the Polk County Treasurer.

  • Is there any type of credit or help available for elderly, disabled or low-income property owners?

    If you are totally disabled or 65 years of age or older and your total household income is less than the amount set by the State of Iowa, you may qualify for tax relief under the provisions of Iowa Code Section 425.16. Applications are available from January 2 through June 1 each year at some neighborhood community centers or at the Treasurer’s Office. Tax credits and exemptions may be reduced pursuant to Iowa Code Section 25B.7. Contact the county treasurer’s office for further information or to obtain the application forms.

    Forms may also be downloaded by clicking on the following link:  Iowa Property Tax Credit Claim Forms

  • How are my property tax dollars spent?

    The Iowa State Association of Counties provides these depictions of the disbursement of tax dollars for urban and rural counties.





  • How do I estimate my Net Tax?

Contact Us

Polk County Administrative Building
111 Court Avenue, Room 154
Des Moines, Iowa 50309-2298
Vehicle:  515-286-3030 (7-4:45 pm)
Property:  515-286-3060 (7-4:45 p.m.)