Polk County Treasurer

  • New to Iowa - How do I register my vehicle?

    You will need to have your registration, title, or a copy of your title. All owners will need to complete and sign the Application for Iowa Title. Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with the county treasurer's office in your county within 30 days from the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though your license plates may still be valid in another state. All applicable fees will be paid at the time of registering. If the vehicle is a lease vehicle, the lessee will need to sign the Application for Iowa Title for a Leased Vehicle (Form 411179). The lessee will also be required to pay a 5% one-time new registration fee on the remaining balance of the lease.

    Iowa Application for Iowa Title and/or Registration Form

    Iowa Application for Iowa Title and/or Registration Form for a Leased Vehicle

    Motor Vehicle Lease Tax – Out-of-State tax Credit worksheet

  • Contact Us

    Polk County Administrative Building
    111 Court Avenue, Room 154
    Des Moines, Iowa 50309-2298
    Vehicle:  515-286-3030 (7-4:45 pm)
    Property:  515-286-3060 (7-4:45 p.m.)