Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get my DD-214?

  • Recorders office in your county - Polk County (515) 286-3160
  • Camp Dodge, if your home of record was Iowa - (515) 727-3441
  • If your home of record was another state: Click on your state and call the State Veteran Affairs Office.
  • If you are unable to locate them at any of the above places you may request ones from National Archives Personal Records: This site will also tell you how to locate any of your other records that you may need a copy of.


What should I bring to your office to apply for financial assistance?

  • DD-214
  • Picture ID
  • Marriage License
  • Birth Certificates
  • Past 30 days Pay Stubs
  • Current Electric and Water Bills
  • Mortgage Payment Statement
  • Register for work through Iowa Workforce Development
  • Food Stamp Information


Where can I get help filing a claim for service connected disability?

  • Residents of Polk County – Polk County Veterans Affairs 2309 Euclid Ave. Des Moines, IA 50310 or to The Department of Veteran Affairs at the Federal Bldg on the 9th floor. You may also contact any of the following service organizations.
    • American Legion - (515) 323-7532
    • DAV - (515) 323-7539
    • VFW - (515) 323-7546
    • Purple Heart - (515) 362-7356
    • VVA - (515) 323-7549
  • All other counties please contact your County Veteran Affairs Office


What is the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs phone number in Des Moines?

  • 1-800-827-1000 (this is the only number for this office)
    • When the recording starts press 1
    • Then press 0
    • When it asks for your parties 5 digit extension press 13301


How can I replace my medals?


How can I get copies of my military medical records?


How can my parents apply for residency at the Iowa Veterans Home?


How do I utilize the VA Hospital for prescriptions?

  • Take your DD-214 to the hospital
  • Fill out form 10-10EZ
  • Complete a Means Test
  • VA Hospital: (515) 699-5999


Where can I locate VA forms to file a claim?


How can I locate veterans services in another state?


Where can I call to get a military I.D. re-issued?

  • STARC Armory in Johnston, IA
  • call (515) 252-4413
  • or 1-800-GO-GUARD.


Mental Health Support is available 24/7. Veterans Crisis Line 800-273-8255 and press 1.