American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Public Input
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) passed by Congress and signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021, is a $1.9 trillion economic stimulus package. In this law, state and local governments receive a total of $350 billion in assistance. Polk County is set to receive a total of $95.2 million.
The Board of Supervisors will focus on four key areas for long-term strategic investments: Affordable Housing, Economic Well-Being, Water Quality, and Mental Health.
- Polk County received first half of the $95.2 million in May 2021.
- The second half was received in June 2022.
- Any reimbursements and costs must be incurred or obligated between March 3, 2021 and December 31, 2024 and spent by the end of 2026.
- Use of Funds Requirements
- Public Health Emergency,
- Negative Economic Impacts caused by the pandemic,
- Premium Pay for Essential Workers,
- Replace lost public sector revenue caused by the pandemic
- Water, Sewer, and Broadband Infrastructure
- Funds cannot be used to reduce property taxes.
Click here to view latest ARPA one pager that includes ARPA funding expenses & obligations to date
Click here to view Public Input Report Executive Summary
Click here for Recovery Plan Report submitted to US Treasury on August 31, 2021.
Click here for Project & Expenditure Report submitted to US Treasury on December 31, 2021.
Click here for Project & Expenditure Report submitted to US Treasury on March 31, 2022.
Click here for Polk County 2022 Recovery Plan Performance Report through June 30, 2022.
Click here for Project & Expenditure Report submitted to US Treasury on July 31, 2022.
Click here for Project & Expenditure Report submitted to US Treasury on October 31, 2022.
Each key area will have a series of workgroup meetings and two opportunities for public presentations and discussion. These public presentations are open to the public and allow for public input. There will be a few requirements for all public presentations:
- Masks are required
- Questions may be submitted to Sarah Boese in advance at email@example.com.
- Register to speak at a table outside the board room prior to presentations.
- Will be available virtually through Facebook live.
Affordable Housing: February 1, 2022, at 6pm at the Board of Supervisors Board Room 120 (111 Court Ave, Des Moines, IA 50309) Click here for agenda | Click here for video recording
Board/Staff Discussions will be conducted in-person at the Board Room at the Polk County Administration Building (111 Court Ave. Room 120, Des Moines, IA 50309) with a virtual option via Zoom. The discussion includes board members, board staff, and invited key stakeholders who will present. These meetings are open to the public and allow for public input during discussion. There will be a Board/Staff Discussion for each key area. Please check back in frequently as meeting dates get confirmed. Click here for all Board of Supervisors public meetings.
Affordable Housing: Occurred on September 1, 2021.
Water Quality: November 10, 2021, at 9:30am. Click here for agenda.
Economic Well-Being: December 8, 2021 at 9:30am. Click here for agenda.
Mental Health: February 23, 2022 at 9:30am. Click here for agenda.
This website will be updated regularly with information and documents on the use of ARPA funds as well as ways for the public to get involved and provide input to the county.
Any questions may be directed to Sarah Boese, Director of Community Relations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.