Military Records

The Recorder's Office has on permanent record, military discharges that have been presented for recording by the veterans, themselves. We don't have records automatically sent to us by Government Agencies. There is no charge to record, or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

Military Records are now closed pursuant to the Code of Iowa 331.608(6). Consequently, in order to obtain records, veterans and next-of-kin (next-of-kin are the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran) will need to provide one or more of the following:

  • Photo ID
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Authorized Waiver/Power of Attorney

To obtain a copy you can stop in our office or mail in a Military Record Application

If you have any questions or would like to see if we have a copy of your records in our office, call 515-286-3175.

Having trouble locating your record?

Iowa Veterans may check with the County Recorder in the county of their residence at the time of their discharge to see if they possibly recorded their discharge in that county.

2 other options for finding your records:

Camp Dodge
7105 NW 70th Ave, Bldg 3465
Johnston, IA 50131-1824
(515) 252-4698

For all Military records not recorded in Polk County, you may request a copy from the National Personal Records Center by mailing or faxing the Standard Form (SF) 180.

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Fax#: 314-801-9195

Military Tax Exemption Information is available in the Polk County Assessor's Office. For more information click here.

We are open to the public 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday thru Friday. For same day service of Vital Records you must be in the office by 3:30pm. Passports are by appointment only. Call 515-286-3160 with any questions or to set up an appointment.