Polk County Conservation Youth Corps engages and inspires diverse youth through hands-on environmental stewardship projects, outdoor recreation, and conservation education.
Youth Corps offers paid service-learning opportunities for ages 15+ in Polk County, Iowa. We have spring, summer, and fall options for Crew Members (ages 15-18) and summer positions for Crew Leaders (ages 19+). Join us!
SAFE - SOCIAL - SERVICE LEARNING
We adapted many program components for COVID-19 and successfully ran our summer and fall 2020 programming. We plan to continue safety measures into 2021.
Get out of the house and work outside in parks this spring. We'll be socially distanced and masked when distance is not possible. We provide transportation for those who need it, equipment, tools, training, and food. For teenagers who want to make a difference in the outdoors.
- Work | 5 weeks - Tuesdays & Wednesdays after school + 3 Saturdays
- Meet | Hoover High School (Tues./Wed. 3:45-7pm, Sat. 8am-3:30pm)
- Dates | March 30, 31 + April 3, 6-7, 13-14, 17, 20-21, 27-28, 30 + May 1-2
- Earn | $400 Stipend + Overnight camping trip (April 30-May 2)
- Apply | Applications closed February 21
Youth ages 15-18 form daytime summer crews. Teams of 10 teens and 2 adult leaders work on challenging projects that help the community and learn fun outdoor skills each week. Everyone earns a weekly stipend.
- Work | 4 weeks - Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Session 1: June 7-July 2
- Session 2: July 12-August 6
- Earn | $200 Stipend per week ($800 total) + 2-night camping trip in Iowa
- Apply | Open Now! Applications close March 31
The 10-week fall session meets on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after school (4 p.m. -7 p.m.) and five Saturdays (8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.). This crew experience will include two overnight camping trips in Iowa during the session, each one paired with one of our Saturday workdays.
- Work | 10 weeks - Tuesdays & Wednesdays after school + 5 Saturdays
- TBD for 2021, expect an update mid-summer
- Earn |
- Apply | Applications will close in early August
Sign up to get an email when fall positions are posted: Click Here
Spend your summer outside and inspire young people through environmental stewardship projects. Gain experience with habitat restoration, crew supervision, facilitating conversations, and teaching outdoor skills. Find more information here.
Visit our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page or for more information about this program, contact:
Youth Corps Coordinator