Horse Powered Leadership is our volunteer program for youth ages 13-18. Here you will have the opportunity to not only give back to your community as a volunteer, but you will also have countless chances to grow as a leader and equestrian.
You will be exposed to the wide variety of programs we offer at the equestrian center, learn about horsemanship and horse care from our knowledgeable staff, participate in leadership activities, and complete a range of volunteer projects.
Horse Powered Leadership is not designed as a riding lesson program, but our horsemanship lessons will involve riding time and there may be additional riding opportunities available to volunteers.
- All volunteers must be at least 13 years old by the start of the program in February and have not graduated high school yet.
- Previous horse experience is not required.
- Willingness to learn.
- Volunteers must be willing to help with our summer camps for children between the ages of 5-12.
- Volunteers must be able to commit to the schedule listed below.
- February: New Volunteer Horsemanship Training will be February 1, 8, 15, & 22. 4:30pm-6:30pm. You must attend all of these sessions.
- March - May: Horse Powered Leadership will take place on Tuesday nights from 4:30pm-6:30pm. These evenings will primarily focus on learning about horse care and horsemanship. You must attend every other week. You may choose which weeks you come, so long as it is at least every other week.
- June: Summer Camp Volunteering. You must help with two weeks of our Junior camp which take place June 13-16, 20-23, and 27-30. Camp runs from 8am-12:30pm. You will get to choose which weeks work best for your schedule.
- July - August: Summer Camp Volunteering. You must help with 30 hours of summer camp across the weeks of July 11-14, 18-21, 25-28, August 1-4, & 8-11. Camp runs from 8am-12:30pm. You will get to choose which dates work best for your schedule.
- Optional Summer/Fall Volunteering: Throughout the summer and fall there will be opportunities to volunteer with our guided trail ride program which takes place on Fridays and Saturdays.
- September - December: There will be optional activities, horsemanship lessons, and field trips available in the fall.
To ensure the best experience for our youth volunteers and for safety reasons, we can only accept a limited amount of participants.
Applicants will be contacted in early January.
We need volunteers to help with the big and little things. Barn chores, painting, special events, assisting with trails, and summer camps are just some of the experiences you can have as a volunteer at Jester Park Equestrian Center!
Volunteers must be 18+ to participate in most volunteer opportunities at the Equestrian Center. Check out our Horse Powered Leadership program, listed above, for information about our volunteer and leadership program for youth between the ages of 13-18.
Please fill out a volunteer application and a staff member will reach out to you shortly. This online application will also give you access to the online system we use to post and manage volunteer shifts and opportunities.
A step-by-step user guide with basic information regarding how to navigate the application process, access the calendar, and register for events is available here.
All volunteers are required to complete an orientation and training session prior to signing up for any volunteer shifts at the Equestrian Center. Many opportunities will require additional training before volunteering.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.