Horse Powered Leadership is our volunteer program for youth ages 13-17. Here, you can give back to your community as a volunteer and have countless chances to grow as a leader and equestrian.
You will be exposed to the wide variety of programs we offer at the equestrian center, learn about horsemanship and horse care from our knowledgeable staff, participate in leadership activities, and complete various volunteer projects.
Horse Powered Leadership is not designed as a riding lesson program, but our horsemanship lessons will involve riding time, and additional riding opportunities may be available to volunteers.
- All volunteers must be at least 13 years old by the program's start in February and have not graduated high school yet.
- Previous horse experience is not required.
- Willingness to learn.
- Volunteers must be willing to help with our summer camps for children ages 5-12.
- Volunteers must be able to commit to the schedule listed below.
- January: New Volunteer Horsemanship Training begins.
- February: New Volunteer Horsemanship Training will continue. You must attend all of these sessions.
- March-May: Horse Powered Leadership will occur on Mondays from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. These evenings will primarily focus on learning about horse care and horsemanship. You must attend every other week. You may choose which weeks you come, so long as it is at least every other week.
- June: Summer Camp Volunteering. You must help with two weeks of our Junior camp. Camp runs from 8 am to 12:30 pm. You will get to choose which weeks work best for your schedule.
- July - August: Summer Camp Volunteering. You must help with 30 hours of summer camp. Camp runs from 8 am to 12:30 pm. You will get to choose which dates work best for your schedule.
- Optional Summer/Fall Volunteering: Throughout the summer and fall, there will be opportunities to volunteer with our guided trail ride program, which takes place on Fridays and Saturdays.
- September - December: Optional activities, horsemanship lessons, and field trips will be available in the fall.
Jan. 29 - Orientation
Feb. 5 - Training REQUIRED
Feb. 12 - Training REQUIRED
Feb. 20 - Training, moved from Feb. 19 (Presidents' Day) REQUIRED
Feb. 26 - Training REQUIRED
Mar. 4 - Training
Mar. 11-14 Spring Break Camp
Mar. 18 - Training
Mar. 25 - Training
Apr. 1 - Training
Apr. 8 - Training
Apr. 15 - Training
Apr. 22 - Training
Apr. 29 - Training
May 7 - Training, moved from May 6
May 13 - Training
May 20 - Training
May 28 - Training, moved from May 27 (Memorial Day)
Summer Camp Schedule
Jr. Horse Adventures Camp (ages 5-7)
- June 3-6
- June 17 (one-day camp)
- June 18 (one-day camp)
Horse Adventures Camp (ages 8-12)
- June 10-13
- June 24-27
- July 8-11
- July 15-18
- July 22-25
- July 29-August 1
- August 5-8
Registration for the 2024 Horse Powered Leadership will open on December 1st and close on January 1st at midnight. Space is limited for this program for the safety of our youth volunteers and our equine herd. Youths chosen to participate in the program will receive a confirmation email in January.
Do you love the barn scene and horses but don't know where to soak it all in? Volunteering at Jester Park Equestrian Center is the perfect place for you. Depending on your experience and availability, volunteer duties could include but are not limited to general barn upkeep and maintenance, assisting with programs, and even helping with events! We are not looking for volunteer help with feeding, grooming, or horse conditioning at this time.
Volunteers must be 18+ to participate in most volunteer opportunities at the Equestrian Center. Check out our Horse Powered Leadership program, listed above, for information about our volunteer and leadership program for youth ages 13-17.
Volunteer opportunities are based on program and barn needs. The time of year and programs happening will determine when opportunities arise.
Please fill out a volunteer application, and a staff member will contact you shortly.
All volunteers must complete an orientation and training session before signing up for any volunteer shifts at the Equestrian Center. Many opportunities will require additional training before volunteering.
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.
Jester Park Equestrian Center strives to host inclusive, accessible events that enable all individuals to participate. If you anticipate needing a modification due to a disability or have questions about accessibility, please contact us at 515-999-2818 or email@example.com.