Where are you located?

The Recorder's Office is located in the Polk County Administrative Building, 111 Court Ave, Suite 250 (2nd & Court Ave).

What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept credit (Visa, MasterCard, Discover), cash, check (make checks payable to the Polk County Recorder) or money order.

What are your hours of business?

The office is currently open 8:00am-4:30pm. Hours for each Department, within the office, vary on what you need to get done. Call 515-286-3160 for specific information on times.

Passports are by appointment only. If you have questions or need to make a Passport appointment, please call at 515-286-3160.

For same day service of Vital Records you must be in the office by 3:30pm.

Do you have property abstracts on file?

No. Abstracts are not filed in our office.

How do I add or take somebody off the title of my property?

You can file a "Quit Claim Deed" in our office. We don't have the form available in our office but you can have a lawyer draw one up for you, get one online or some local office supply stores have the form for purchase.

Who can get a copy of a Military Record?

Veterans and next-of-kin of deceased veterans have the same rights to full access to the record. Next-of-kin are the unremarried widow or widower, son or daughter, father or mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran. 

Does your office handle Divorce Records?

No. The Polk County Clerk of Court can help you with Divorce Records. You can contact them at 515-286-3772.

Do you email copies of real estate documents?

Yes we do. To request a copy, please send your request to Include your contact information along with your request.  Make sure to include contact information. An invoice will be emailed along with your request. The cost is $2.00 for the first page and $1.00 each additional copy.

We are open to the public 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday thru Friday. For same day service of Vital Records you must be in the office by 3:30pm. Passports are by appointment only. Call 515-286-3160 with any questions or to set up an appointment.