Commodity Supplemental Foods
The Polk County Commodity Supplemental Food Program provides supplemental foods and nutrition education in order to promote good health for seniors at NO COST. The program is provided by Polk County and the United States Department of Agriculture to those 60 years of age or older who live in Polk, Dallas, Boone, Jasper, Story and Warren Counties.
Individuals participating in the program are able to receive healthy nutritious foods from major food manufacturers. Items may include:
- Canned Juices
- Canned Fruits
- Canned Vegetables
- Hot and Cold Cereals
- Peanut Butter and Beans
- Shelf stable 1% Milk and Powdered Milk
- Nutrition Education Materials
Eligible participants can shop in a grocery store like atmosphere Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue. No Appointment is necessary. Volunteer delivery is available for seniors who are unable to pick up their food or do not have anyone who can come in for them.
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply On-Line
- Print and mail an application Commodity Supplemental Food Program Senior Application
- Apply in person at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Avenue in Des Moines. Proof of age is required.
- Ask for an application to be mailed to you by calling 515-286-3655.
(515) 286-3655 or 1-877-288-3655
Polk County River Place
2309 Euclid Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50310
**Polk County Supplemental Foods is closed the last two working days of each month, weekends and county holidays.