Planning & Development
Polk County Planning and Development Division includes Building, Code Enforcement, Housing Services, Environmental Health and Planning & Zoning Services. Please click on the links to find out more about each section.
- Building Services (286-3352) issues permits and inspects new construction and additions to residential, commercial and industrial buildings. Building Services inspects new construction and additions for compliance with the Polk County Construction Code.
- Code Enforcement enforces Polk County Construction Code, Zoning Ordinance and Health Nuisance codes in an effort to eliminate conditions that threaten the life, health, safety, and general welfare of residents.
- Housing Services (286-3356) provides a number of programs and assistance for residents of Polk County including Emergency Repair, Weatherization Assistance, and partners on other programs with a variety of organizations including Energy Crisis Intervention (ECIP) and Healthy Homes Des Moines . Real Estate section deals with the sale of properties acquired through the Tax Sale process.
- Environmental Health Services (286-3705) provides services related to those affecting the health and safety to the physical environment in which we live. Services include: inspection of on-site wastewater systems, review of Time of Transfer inspections, commercial swimming pool, spa, tanning and tattoo establishment inspections, inspections of private wells, drinking water well testing investigation of all nuisance complaints in regard to environmental health, Commercial Septic Tank Cleaners, mosquito control, and radon testing.
- Planning & Zoning Services provides a wide variety of land use, zoning and planning services. We administer a number of County Ordinances and assist the public, developers, and consultants with general property inquiries regarding land use, zoning, land division, etc. Planning services utilizes the Polk County Comprehensive Plan to guide land use decisions through the Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map. The Subdivision Ordinance for Unincorporated Polk County provides land division and development standards. Other services also include administration of the the Polk County Noise and Wind Energy Ordinances.