Five Points of Progress
We think outside the box to create positive outcomes for our constituents and overcome today’s complicated challenges.
We provide innovative public resources for the people of Polk County, including mental health services and other wellness-related programs.
We bring together officials and community members across city lines to make coordinated decisions that benefit all.
What We Are
The Polk County Board of Supervisors is the executive branch of Polk County government. Our five supervisors are elected officials, representing the five districts of Polk County. You can learn more about our current Supervisors below.
What We Do
The Polk County Board of Supervisors exists to make life better for the people of Polk County. We are responsible for overseeing the well-being of our community members while managing economic development, meaning that we must balance fiscal responsibility with social responsibility. Our Supervisors serve as the policymakers for Polk County and administer County programs.
Some of our responsibilities include: making key decisions that impact quality of life and economic development in Polk County, reviewing budget requests, appropriating funds, establishing County tax levies, enacting ordinances, filling employee vacancies, and hearing reports from County officers. These responsibilities are defined by Iowa Code Chapter 331.
1. Fulfill the basic needs of all individuals in Polk County by providing innovative resources for mental health, physical well-being and economic livelihood.
2. Lead regional collaboration to create positive change, navigate crisis situations and plan our region’s future.
3. Maintain and improve the quality of life for all residents with conservation programs, infrastructure management and other essential services.
4. Help all of our neighborhoods prosper by funding revitalization initiatives and bringing new opportunities to communities.
5. Drive economic development by promoting our region and creating a prosperous environment for businesses and residents alike.