North Shore Recreation Area
Accessible. Welcoming. Recreation. Those are the guiding principles that are driving Conservation's efforts to create the most universally designed waterfront in Iowa - maybe even America. This will be a place where people of all ages and abilities can feel the spray of water on their face and the soft sand between their fingers or toes. Fish, boat, swim or simply play knowing you have access and support to do so fully. The Athene North Shore Recreation Area is where you can enjoy nature on your own terms - not in spite of your limitations, but in full acceptance and celebration of them.
Community leaders continue to raise funds. Each additional dollar raised will ensure universal access for all community members and support long-term sustainability of the recreation area. Your contribution to this effort is gratefully welcome! Financial commitments will be processed through Polk County Conservation's partner Great Outdoors Foundation.
- ADA Accessible pontoon boat
- Quiet, de-escalation rooms for people with sensory input disorders
- Large beach mats to serve as accessible walkways over sand
- Extra-wide concrete paths for wheelchairs and walkers
- Full inventory of adaptive and accessible equipment for rent
- Zero-entry ramps providing easier access to the water
- Fully accessible natural playscape
- Nature and outdoor recreation programming including accessible equipment and curricula
The design and development of a universally accessible recreation area could not have been possible without the support of many local businesses and individuals. Please offer your thanks to the many generous donors.