Property Tax Suspension
The Polk County Property Tax Suspension program provides financial relief to qualifying individuals by suspending or redeeming their property taxes on residential properties so that they can remain in their homes.
Not sure if you qualify or have additional questions?
Call 515-286-3205 or e-mail email@example.com for assistance.
Owners of suspended properties can repay the suspended taxes at any time. When the property is sold, suspended taxes are to be paid by the seller, or the estate if the property owner is deceased.
- The maximum value of the property cannot exceed $180,000
- Income cannot exceed:
- $41,000 for a single person household
- $47,280 for a two person household
To qualify you must:
- Live in the property you are requesting suspension for.
- There is an exception for those living in congregate/nursing care.
- Own the property or be in the process of purchasing the property.
- If purchasing, you must have written consent for the lender or seller.
- Qualify based on age, disability, or military status based on one or more of the following:
- 65 or older as of December 31 the year the petition is filed.
- 55 or older and the surviving spouse of someone who would be 65+ if still living.
- 100% disabled as shown by receipt of disability income (SSI, SSDI), other disability income, or a physician's statement if application for disability is still in process.
- Deployed on active military duty.
- Suspension is only valid for the duration of the deployment.
- The property must undergo a yearly home visit.
- Properties that have a mortgage, a reverse mortgage, or are under contract require written consent from the lender.