Leadership - AmeriCorps
Summer Crew Leaders (ages 19+) - AmeriCorps
Spend your summer outside and inspire youth through environmental stewardship projects. Together with a fellow crew leader, you will supervise, mentor, and inspire a crew of 10 teens. Gain experience in habitat restoration, trail maintenance, environmental education, and outdoor skill instruction.
Learn how to manage projects and crew safety. Use your hands, and motivate a team to help public land. Network with Naturalists and Natural Resources staff to build connections for your future.
Service Days will typically be Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (including 30 minutes for lunch). The program will include at least one required two-night camping trip per month. Summer lodging may be available if needed.
2021 Crew Leaders are expected to be present from May 19 to August 13. Training will be held May 19-21, 24-28 and June 1-4 in preparation for crews to begin the following week. *May 31, July 5, July 6, and weekends will be days off.
Four Crew Leaders will serve with Polk County Conservation as part of the Iowa AmeriCorps 4-H Environmental Education Program. AmeriCorps members develop skills that build a strong, leadership-packed résumé, earn a living stipend, and receive a Segal Education Award upon completion. All positions are quarter time members who will serve a minimum of 450 hours over 12 weeks, from May 19-Aug. 13, 2021. Typical hours will be Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. The program will require two-night camping trips in June and July.
- Education Award received upon successful completion of the term of service, totaling $1,638.89.
- Can be used to pay education expenses at eligible institutions, qualifying student loans, or for alternative education such as NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) programs, yoga teacher certification, non-profit management certificates, outdoor medical skills training, overseas Title IV schools, etc. Some institutions provide matching funds for your Segal Education Award.
- Living allowance totaling $3,780
- Distributed once a month over your three month service
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Student loan forbearance and interest payments, if the member qualifies
Crew Leader Application Timeline
- February: Application deadline for Summer Crew Leaders
- May 19: Crew Leader training begins
Polk County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, genetic information, the presence of disability or any other legally protected status. Persons of color, women, and veterans are encouraged to apply.