Harm Reduction Kits
Locations of Lock Boxes:
- Polk County Health Department: 1907 Carpenter Ave, Des Moines, IA 50314
- Polk County River Place: 2309 Euclid Ave, Des Moines, IA 504
Lock Box Code: 185 036
What's in a Harm Reduction Kit?
- 3 bottles (2 of water and 1 of bleach)
- Cotton Balls
- Rubber Gloves
- Antiseptic Wipes
- Antibiotic Ointment
- Gauze Pads
What is in the Lock Box?
- Harm Reduction Kits
- Sharps Disposal Containers
- Hygiene Kits
- Period Products
Purpose of Harm Reduction Kits
If you are using needles, we encourage you throw away your used needles OR clean them, in order to reduce your risk of infection. The harm reduction kit contains bottles of water and bleach that you can use to clean your syringes and needles.
Used needles should be thrown away. Put your used needles in the large red sharps disposal trash bin and/or take a small black sharps disposal container to use.
Additional Harm Reduction Resources
Find FREE Naloxone (Narcan) through Naloxone Iowa without a prescription.
- Order Tele-Naloxone Here. If you are uncomfortable asking a doctor or pharmacist for naloxone, order here and the naloxone will be delivered straight to your door.
- Talk to a pharmacist directly and ask for naloxone. Click here to see a list of participating pharmacies in Polk County. (Call ahead to ensure availability.)
*Naloxone, often referred to by its brand name Narcan, can reverse an overdose and save a life.*
MAT stands for Medication Assisted Treatment. MAT provides a “whole-patient” approach to help with the treatment of substance use disorders. MAT combines medications with counseling and behavioral health therapies, in order to treat people.
Iowa Harm Reduction Coalition has many services and resources to help people who use or inject drugs.
Iowa’s Good Samaritan Law encourages those who witness a drug overdose to stay and call 911, rather than running out of fear of prosecution.